- Sixth Form Support
- Art & Design
- Business Studies
- Home Economics
- Media Studies
- Modern Languages
- Physical Education (Boys)
- Physical Education (Girls)
- Prince's Trust
- Religious Education
We pride ourselves on preparing the workforce of the future, helping our students develop skills needed for local and global employment markets.
We encourage our students to recognise the skill sets utilised in different subject areas and to learn how to transfer these skills across the curriculum and indeed into employment.
We are committed to preparing our students for success when they leave school and subsequently Careers Education is delivered once per fortnight to every class in Slemish College from Year 8 to Year 14. At key transition stages: choosing GCSE subjects in Year 10, A Levels in Year 12 and when considering third level education, we offer parents and students personalised, individual guidance to help them make informed and appropriate decisions. Sixth Form Students are offered guidance and support on making applications to Further and Higher Education during discrete Careers Lessons. Presentations are arranged allowing visiting University representatives to share information and all students have the opportunity to attend Queens University Belfast’s Open Day.
All Year 11 students have the opportunity to attend Work Experience in a placement of their choice at the end of the summer term. Work Experience can also be arranged for students in Year 13 who did not have a work experience programme in their previous schools or to enhance a student’s ability to write their CV or Personal Statement. We have a positive working relationship with the Department of Employment and Learning and the Careers Advisor offers individual Personal Career Planning interviews to all Year 12 students as well as attending Annual Reviews and parents’ evenings.
Careers Department Staff:
- Mrs G Anderson, BA PGCE PQH (NI) (Subject Leader)
- Mrs M O'Donovan, BA PGDip PGCE (Careers Intern, Key Stage 4)
- Mr A Cuthbert, BEng MSc PGCE (STEAM Intern, Key Stage 3)
- Mr R Cranston, BA PGCE (Key Stage 5)
- Mrs J Gordon, Bed PGCE (Key Stage 4)
- Mrs S Gorman, BSc PGCE (Key Stage 4)
- Mrs J Donnelly, BSc PGCE (Key Stage 3) (Maternity Leave)
- Miss S Maginn, BSc PGCE (Key Stage 3)
- Mrs J Cruikshank, BSc ATCL PGCE (Key Stage 3)